So my winter break has come to an end. Where does Goldbar Games stand?
Well, let's take a look!
Detective Butler EP2 is still in planning stages. A rather insignificant portion of writing is finished, but most of the plot is still being worked on. I feel very good about it though. Our team frequently discusses the plot as both a story and as a mystery, constantly refining our vision of the game. At this rate, the second episode is going to be longer and better than the first one. The story will be packed with significantly more content, and I'm doing my best to ensure that content is of the best quality.
We've just begun on the music. So far it's coming along nicely. I cleaned up a lot of the game's code, and the internal structure is much more pleasant. I'll probably be sticking with ONscripter for EP2 unless I learn how to work the Kirikiri game engine. It was fun to mess with, but replicating the design I had for EP1 takes a lot of jumping through hoops that I can't seem to figure out. The documentation is all in Japanese, so I've only gotten as far as Google Translate can take me. Any help there is appreciated!
Graphics are an issue of their own, however. It kind of puts me in a difficult position. Being a free game, it's not very cost-effective to be paying for graphics. For that reason, something is going to need to change. We're still a fledgling group and don't have any resources other than personal ones and donations. There haven't been sufficient donations to safely say that graphics for EP2 are affordable. So now I'm at a crossroads (again) concerning graphics.
In any event, I'm anticipating 2014 will be a very productive year. My goals are to release something each Comiket (summer and winter) at the very least, for the sake of keeping content coming. As we build more games, we'll learn how to make better ones. That helps out both you and me.
I'd like to reveal some of my plans for a new game, in full detail, on the blog next month. Look forward to reading about it!